THIS BLOG WAS BORN WHILE WE AWAITED THE ARRIVAL OF OUR BEAUTIFUL BABY GIRL. IT HAS GROWN INTO A COLLECTION OF FAMILY MEMOIRS...

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Mudda's Day

Have I mentioned how much I love Belize? And one of my favorite things is the language.  Locals speak English and Creole, both of which bounce happily off the tongue with a jolly islan' rhydm. 
I could listen to it all day. 
We spent Mudda's Day in Cay Caulker. It's a little island toward the north end of the Barrier Islands. It was nice, but more touristy than Placencia, and as such, not as much to our liking. But we had a nice day with breakfast at Amor Cafe (yummy!) and then we rented a golf cart to cruise the sandy streets. A highlight was seeing a cayman (salt water croc) near the airstrip. 

Evie and I enjoying our new hand me down blow up kayak from Mistral. 

Laundry detail. 

"Whot ah lokey mudda." Breakfast at Amor Cafe on Cay Caulker for Mother's Day. 

 The kids and I have ventured into a delicious new hobby of making our own bread. Salt water bread. Cinnamon swirl bread. Amish white bread. We even made our own doughnuts. So fun. 

 Salt water bread made with fresh salt water from Tobacco Cay. 
(Per the recipe found in Dove - a must read.) 

 Our rented ride on Cay Caulker and a(nother) nasty storm front blowing in. 

 I just loved this tall and skinny house on Cay Caulker. 

The sandy streets of Cay Caulker. 

Tobacco Cay. This is a charming (albeit tiny) little isle with friendly people and lovely island architecture. This picture doesn't do it justice. It was a dreary day. 

We enjoyed exploring the little island and visiting with the locals. The kids got their fix of running and tree climbing. 

Capitan insisted that I dock Balance in Placencia. I was sweaty nervous, but I did it! And all the pilings are still standing. Phew. 

We're back in Placencia until the weather permits us to head east to the Bay Islands of Honduras (Monday or Tuesday). Thom arrived on Friday and we've been enjoying sharing all of the delights of Placencia with him. 

Thanks for checking in! Next stop - the Bay Islands. 

No comments: